review of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 at 8:03 AM
ok, to say I was disappointed is a bit of an understatement and it pains me to even say that! I've been looking forward to this movie for so long.

here is what I've found to not be so good about the movie:
  • very loosely based off of the book - in comparison to all the other movies, they stuck to the plotline in the books. this one, however, did not include key information that feeds into the 7th book/movies. also, they removed the only fight scene in the book, the one at the end with all the action and shock of the plot.
  • the ginny/harry romance - now, i love me some harry & ginny love, however, it was tacky the way they did it. ginny is dating dean and then all of a sudden likes harry? when did she break up with dean? also, they start snogging and being together for the majority of the movie, which is again, not like the book. they incorporate ginny into many scenes that she wasn't involved with in the book.
  • fight scene at the burrow - now, I just reread the book so I know for sure that this was all made up and doesn't exist. why add a fight scene that isn't key to the plot/ending of the story and remove the one that was written??? just doesn't make sense to me.
  • harry & dumbledore's relationship change - now this is key in the book, because it changes. harry goes from being viewed as a student to more of dumbledore's equal. the movie did show this a bit, but left out so many conversations and information that I viewed crucial in the book. with the way it was done in this movie, I don't know how they're going to do the seventh one.
  • the funeral scene - in case someone actually does read my blog, I don't want to give a spoiler, but the final chapters in the book are about a funeral for a key character that dies. in the movie, there is no funeral. this is also key because it's the scene that harry tells ginny that he can no longer date her because he's concerned about her wellbeing. in the book, it's moving and thoughtful and just portrays the visual image of mourning his true love and his idol. completely cut from the movie.
  • horace slughorn's character - now this is just not casted well (according to what I saw from JK Rowling's description). he's suppose to be fat and resemble a walrus. this dude that plays slughorn was not at all what I envisioned and he kept making a weird face with his eye... almost like popeye. just strange.
I'll have to say though, that if I didn't read the book, I would have loved it. It was interesting and well done. All of my problems with the movie somehow were differences in the book to the screen. I liked that it was witty and it brought more comedic relief to the screen than the previous movies. I think that was good because this book is a pretty dark & depressing book between the fight between Ron and Hermione, Draco's shady character, the adventures of Harry and Dumbledore, the memories of Voldemort and the death of the main character.

If I were to be a true movie critic and were to give it a grade: low B

and thorns to you, David Yates! stick to book 7 PLEEEEEASE

0 comments

Post a Comment